top of page

When Minors are Your Heirs

If you think it is likely your heirs will be minors would when you pass away, it is best to do so differently than you would leave assets for adults.

If you have minor children, grandchildren or other relatives you want to include in your estate plan you should do so, because if you leave assets only to their parents, they might spend everything before the minors can inherit it.


This can be inefficient and, unless you have left special instructions in the will, the person appointed by the court might not be the same person you would have appointed. There is a better way to leave assets to minors as the Times Herald-Record discussed in "Proper legal planning for minor beneficiaries."

The better option is to create a trust and to fund the trust with the assets you would like to leave for the minors. You can appoint a trustee of your own choosing to administer the assets for the benefit of the minors. You also can leave instructions about how and when the assets are to be distributed for the children. That does not have to be the moment they reach the age of majority.

If you would like to leave part of your estate to minors, then talk to an estate planning attorney about creating a trust to do so.

Reference: Times Herald-Record (Feb. 1, 2018) "Proper legal planning for minor beneficiaries."

0 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All

Are Seniors Prepared for Natural Disasters?

“A new national poll shows that many people over age 50 haven’t taken key steps to protect their health and well-being in case of severe weather, long-term power outages, or other situations.” With hu


bottom of page